London Terrace Gardens was the dream of real estate mogul Henry Mandel. In the late 1920's, when the American economy was still strong, Mandel began acquiring land in Chelsea to build the largest apartment building New York-and the world had-ever seen.
By 1929, he owned the city block bounded by Ninth and Tenth Avenues and 23rd and 24th Streets. The land was once owned by Clement Clark Moore, who wrote 'Twas the Night Before Christmas', and was located across from fashionable "Millionaire's Row."
Mandel hired the architectural firm of Farrar & Watmough to design the massive complex, which was built in two phases. The central structure, comprised of ten adjoining buildings, was completed in 1931. Later, the four corner structures were added. The complex contained 1,665 apartments comprised of 4,000 residential rooms. Mandel's dream, however, was grander still.
In 1948, the current owners purchased the ten interior buildings. The central buildings surrounding the one-acre garden courtyard and comprising nearly 1,000 apartments were named London Terrace Gardens.
The Gardens are still kept to impeccable standard and are still enjoyed by the residents today.